Imagine that you wake up at 7am. Your bed is the floor underneath your desk. You have only had a few mouthfuls of food since your last shift. You are forced to work from 8am until 1am with no breaks and only little water, a 17 hour working day. You aren’t allowed outside, nor are you allowed to make any phone calls to your family. You are 6 years old.
The above is a harsh reality for too many children around the world, being forced into child labour in disgusting conditions, many of whom are only 5, 6 and 7 years old.
Can you imagine your child being one of those? Neither can we, which is why The School Uniform Shop is proud to be a supporter and supplier of ethically produced school uniform. By purchasing our uniform you are helping to protect not only children but adults and vulnerable people from around the world.
As a worker living in the United Kingdom you are entitled to a minimum wage, regular breaks, a suitable and safe working environment and reasonable working hours. So why is it so different in other countries? All of our ethical suppliers ensure their garments are produced in environments where all the points below and more are met.
- No child labour is used in any of their factories.
- Working conditions are safe, hygienic and of health & safety standard.
- Working hours are not excessive and regular breaks are implemented.
- Wages are of the industry / country norm and many workers receive work benefits.
- Employment is freely chosen and NO person will be taken against their will or forced to work.
- Factories undergo rigorous checks and audits to make sure they are a safe and secure structure.
We are proud to say that ALL our schoolwear ticks ALL of those boxes and more.